<body>

Monday, September 04, 2006

Boys vs. Girls


So now that I am pregnant with my third boy, I have decided that I need to learn more about these boys that are filling my house. After growing up with a brother and a dad, being married to Brody for 6 years, having a four year old boy and a 19 month old boy, I am thourghly convinced that boys are different than girls.
Firstly, they like to wrestle, girls don't. As my first son has grown, I have had to learn how to play with him. He doesn't like spiderman and wolverine talking and getting to know each other, they are supposed to fight, and once again, wrestle. For some reason that is more fun.
Secondly, the words "poop," "booty," "toot," of any form can make any male young or old laugh. (not to mention that boys smell more than girls...)
And thirdly, they love adventure, and love to succeed, and be the hero.
I am currently reading a book called, "The Minds of Boys," by Michael Gurian. He has done extensive scientific research on boys minds, and shows that the brains of boys are literally built differently than girls.
Some quotes from the book:
~"Boys tend to have more dopamine in their bloodstream which can increase impulsive risk behavior" (is that why Eliot thought it was a good idea to try to jump off the trampoline on his skateboard?)
~ "The boy fueled by his boy energy, tends to learn by innovating in risk- taking ways, wearing goggles so the dangerous game can go on."
~"This boy energy, is one of the greatest assets of a civilization. Our homes and buildings are built by it. Our roads are laid down in its vision. Our rocket ships fly because of it."
There is debate on wether all children are blank slates, waiting to be written on, or wether they are born with gender differences. In our neighborhood, there are 15 kids that play in our cold a sack nearly every night. The boys are usually riding bikes, throwing a football, running, and jumping off of things. The girls will sit and put on make up and jewlery, or perform a song and dance for everyone. The girls like to be pretty, and the boys like to be tough. The girls like to talk and bond, and the boys like to wrestle.
Through everything I have seen thus far, and witnessed in my life, I simply have to conclude that boys and girls are different from each other. That, I believe, is what God had in mind when He created us. He intended for us to be different, and we as women couldn't live without the men and boys in our lives. Even as rough, smelly, and confusing as they are.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger urban mama said...

I am so excited that you have joined the "group" I read Brody's but I would much rather read yours, just kidding but really i am so glad to be able to read a little bit about your life every so often.

9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you ! You are a great mom. How we love those loud, smelly creatures. You are right. Sure could use some "sittin' down, girl time" with you though. I love you, Mom W.

3:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home