<body>

Friday, May 18, 2007

It's that time of year....

The past couple of days, I have been in a very sentimental mood. Not sad, but teary, and I have this feeling over me as if I have to say goodbye to someone. So when I woke up this morning, I decided I needed to figure out what was going on with me, and this is what I traced it back to....
It all started with the season finale of Gilmore Girls on Tuesday. The show has been about this woman and her daughter, their family and the small town they grow up in. The characters relationships all intertwine, and the daughter has grown up throughout the years from grammar school to now graduating college and moving on to her first job. The mother and daughter had to say goodbye, as the town gave her a surprise party in her honor. It was a touching ending, which ignited my sentimental feelings toward my sons.
Then we were hanging out with friends, and someone was saying that the reason time feels like it's flying the older we get, is because it is our perception on a year is based upon how many years that we've lived. So to an 80 year old, a year feels like no time at all, but to a 5 year old, a year feels like an eternity. Which is all very interesting, but once again, I was left to ponder and stare longingly at my children.
So then my husband pointed me to this blog post, which made me laugh, and then get even more sentimental.
Then it hit me. It seems as if others are in this mood too, and I wondered,"is it just the time of year?" We've grown up, with this being the season of school ending, people graduating, getting married, moving on, and this is the time of year I have grown up reflecting, missing, and moving on.
I am in a melancholy mood for no apparent reason. It's just that time of year for me I guess.

~How about you, are you feeling this too?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I just recently started watching Gilmore Girls, I am now in season 3 so I am early on. It is very emotional so I can see why it would cause you to be reflective. Secondly, I can't tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing but, Drew and I, on a daily basis, talk about how fast the time goes. We know how fleeting time is and that before we know it our boys will be teenagers and then leaving home. I just want to cherish it all. It also could be that Isaiah is so ready to be grown and loves talking about his future life on a constant basis. So... I know your emotions. I think it's all about being a mommy. I saw a commercial that made me cry. So cliche, but it did. I don't think anything stirs ones emotions like a child does to their mom.
Jamiey

11:07 AM

 
Blogger Just Mom said...

You're not alone. I get this way too as I reflect on how many milestones my son hits. I also get overwhelmed with nostalgia watching him grow up.

I liked the link, by the way.

11:12 AM

 
Blogger urban mama said...

I think it is the time of year

11:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since my son started school, I've been telling him that he's going to have to do things on his own, because "I'm not going to college with him." Now that he will begin his senior year in high school this fall and talks about college constantly (going now, rather than avoiding it all cost like he was three years ago), I find myself thinking about ways I COULD actually go with him and manage to still take care of my husband and three daughters. Even though we recently went on a cruise and left this same son with our daughters for a week, completely in charge and knowing he'd do great (and he did), I'm also thoroughly convinced he will starve and never have clean clothes unless I'm with him! Irrational I know, because he would never starve, but I've spent many a good otherwise housecleaning hour thinking about mother/son dorm arrangements.

Beth

12:08 PM

 
Blogger The Secret Life of Kat said...

I got all emotional the other day when I used the last of my son's newborn size diapers....

"He'll never wear that size again..."

I almost saved one just for the memories.

Clearly I need more sleep.

2:56 PM

 
Blogger Kyle Ray said...

No emotions like that here, but then again i am a guy and we supposed to emotionless drones right?

6:31 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

jaimey~ I agree, that show is emotional, but so good! I cry at comercials too....

yes everyone, I'm glad I am not the only one!

~Booters~ I said it's that time of the year, not it's that time of the "month" so a guy could definitley be feeling this too.....

7:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home