<body>

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Times of Stress or storm

~"Here is a thought question. How many people are basing their opinion of God on how they see you act in time of stress or trouble?"

This question has been lingering in my head ever since I read it. Scientifically, they talk about the fight or flight response. Where you make the choice when faced with stress, to fight, and deal with it, or run from it. I am learning, that there is more to it, when you are a child of God.

In the bible, Jonah and Paul were both called by God. "Paul was compelled by his calling to Rome. Jonah was repelled by his calling to Nineveh."

Jonah fled, and Paul obeyed. Both were put on ships, and both endured storms. Both were affecting the others around them.

Jonah's presence on the ship, caused all the others on the ship to endure a storm, and while Jonah slept, the others were desperately trying to survive.

Paul's presence on the ship admist the storm, was calm. He offered the people courage and bread, and because of his mere presence, all 276 people that were on board with him were under the protection of God.
Ultimately, both Jonah and Paul survived those storms, but what went on during the storm was dramatically different. "An attitude of obedience makes a difference to the servant and to those close by. Servants of God can dramatically affect the lives of others positively or negatively."

(all quotes taken from "To Live is Christ" bible study by Beth Moore.) The scriptures that I am talking about in this are.

Jonah 1:1-17

Acts 27

Thoughts?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Brilliant! I absolutely LOVE Beth Moore. I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with her in England for a ladies retreat. I was 5 months into a high risk pregnancy. One of the "activities" we did really panicked me because I honestly knew God was telling me to surrender this child to Him. I didn't know what He meant at the time and I was distraught at the thought of losing a 4th child. Beth saw my distress and we spent some time in prayer and counselling. She told me that while it may be the hardest thing I'd ever do, if I was to be obedient, I must surrender my child no matter what He meant by that surrender. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but I knew she was right. We prayed together and I told God that my child was His, no matter what His will. At that very moment, my baby lept! I had not felt her move to that point at all. Peace washed over me like I've never experienced before! That baby is almost 8 years old now and truly a miracle and a gift from God. She is a Christian with a heart to serve and compassion beyond her years.

Beth

10:36 AM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Beth~ that is very cool that you met Beth Moore (and in England too!) and that she prayed with you. How awesome that God blessed your little girl too.

1:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home