<body>

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This coming month

We are about to start the 40 day fast. To me this is not a fast to pray about a cause, it's a fast to experience a day of hunger, to put things into perspective, and then to therefore talk about a way we can help.

Things I am thinking on:
~What can we do? We have grocery stores across America full of food that will spoil, while so many are starving. How do we balance things?

~ It's hard to know there are children starving and then hear my sons complain about what they are eating. I need to raise them with awareness, I want them to understand to be great full for what they have, and I want them to have the burden to help and to share.

~What are ways that you teach or would teach your children about the realities (hungry, dying people) of this world?

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sharing letters from our Compassion children help our kids to realize how blessed they are. They're kids, it's a long process, but we keep trying. Talking with them without laying the "guilt trip" on them is important. Exploring ideas about how we can help is good too.

Beth

9:53 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Yeah that is a good idea, I agree that the guilt trip approach never works on anyone, and wouldn't want the kids to get turned off and tune out on the subject.

6:56 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

I don't have children, so I don't know how I would teach them. I think sometimes it can be as simple as not indulging their every desire, so at the very least they know what it is to want. I feel like kids get everything they want and have no concept of need at all.

I think if you are active in your life in reaching out and serving that will be communicated to them as well. I came across a great blog recently that seeks to share ideas on how to serve as a family. http://jesusquilt.wordpress.com/

I got a bunch of ideas just from that, and I don't even have kids. You can also submit your ideas.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Amy, thank you for that blog site, I will check that out. I do agree that kids learn most by example too.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Jeanine said...

Hey Kristin,
Just found your blog, I'm looking forward to walking the 40 day fast-blog road together!
Jeanine

9:42 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

I checked your blog out the other day! I look forward to reading what everyone has to say too.

6:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home