<body>

Saturday, June 23, 2007

In deffense of one of my loves....Coffee

~ So, I was reading a very funny post on Brant's blog about his addiction to coffee, and his attempt at quitting and then returning to drinking caffine. As I was quietly cheering him on for returning to drinking coffee, I read Shaun's comment to Brant. He said, " ... put the mug down...or risk brain damage and colon cancer..."
Ususally I am a non confrontational person, until someone disses my morning beverage.
So Shaun and anyone else who thinks coffee is bad for you, here's a recent excerpt from the Harvard health publication in which it states that moderate consumption is not bad for you, and may reduce the risk of Colon Cancer, among other things..... Ha!

"Coffee Health Risks: For the moderate drinker, coffee is safe says Harvard Women’s Health Watch

( Boston , MA ) Despite 20 years of reassuring research, many people still avoid caffeinated coffee because they worry about its health effects. However, current research reveals that in moderation—a few cups a day—coffee is a safe beverage that may even offer some health benefits. The September issue of Harvard Women's Health Watch weighs the pros and cons of this popular beverage and eases the concerns of moderate coffee drinkers.

The latest research has not only confirmed that moderate coffee consumption doesn't cause harm, it's also uncovered possible benefits. Studies show that the risk for type 2 diabetes is lower among regular coffee drinkers than among those who don't drink it. Also, coffee may reduce the risk of developing gallstones, discourage the development of colon cancer, improve cognitive function, reduce the risk of liver damage in people at high risk for liver disease, and reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease. Coffee has also been shown to improve endurance performance in long-duration physical activities.

For those who drink coffee to stay alert, new research suggests that you'll stay more alert, particularly if you are fighting sleep deprivation, if you spread your coffee consumption over the course of the day. For instance, if you usually drink 16 ounces in the morning, try consuming a 2-3 ounce serving every hour or so. Again, moderation is the key.

However, as the September issue notes, coffee is not completely innocent. Caffeine, coffee's main ingredient is a mild addictive stimulant. And coffee does have modest cardiovascular effects such as increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and occasional irregular heartbeat that should be considered. Studies have been largely inconclusive regarding coffee and its effect on women's health issues such as breast health, cancer, and osteoporosis. But, the negative effects of coffee tend to emerge in excessive drinking so it is best to avoid heavy consumption."

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Brody Harper said...

boo....




ya.

8:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm out too. I can't stand the taste of coffee. Does diet coke in the morning count?

Beth

11:16 AM

 
Blogger urban mama said...

I am right there with you as a supporter of the wonderful drink. It makes me smile every morning. Where would we be without it.

11:19 AM

 
Blogger Chaotic Hammer said...

I can't help but notice that with many health-related issues (and interestingly enough, scriptural direction about many different questions), the key seems to be moderation.

My wife -- she's gotta have her cup o' joe in the morning.

As for me -- can't touch the stuff. It makes my stomach churn, stresses me out, makes me feel all twitchy. Oh well.

11:27 AM

 
Blogger FancyPants said...

C-ham, I thought that only happened to you on a full moon...before you shed your outer layer of skin....

Well, KD, I have a song to sing to commemorate our love addiction for that wonderful brew....

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me.
Coffee and tea and the java and (in?) me
A cup, a cup, a cup , a cup, a cup....boy


Nope, didn't make it up. It's real and it's my motto.

12:34 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Beth, coffee is better I am sorry....

Jessie~ I think our daily lives with three kids would be a bit harder without coffee!

CHam~ yes, I totally agree, I try to do most things in moderation. You may actually have a genetic thing that multiplies caffeine in your blood stream when you drink it. I was reading about that in Prevention magazine. Does all caffiene do that to you or just coffee?

Fancypants~ Thats my new favorite song!

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this coffee post! I am feeling more and more assured that I dont have to put MY mug down. Yeahhhhh!!! ;)

11:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home