<body>

Sunday, November 04, 2007

I'm a little jumpy


~It all started when I was sitting in church this evening with my friends, when a mouse scurried across the floor and ran under the door into the cafeteria! I slipped my feet up onto the rung of my chair, and scooted out of that room quickly at the end of the service.
After getting home, and tucking my kids into bed, I noticed that my bedroom door was shut, and I don't ever shut that door. With my heart pounding, and calling my dog up next to me, I opened the door only a few inches until it stopped and wouldn't open any more, without pushing with more effort. I freaked, and ran down the hall. When I finally convinced myself that no one could possibly be in there, not with my big scary dog in the house, I went and tried again, pushing harder. There were two big pillows behind the door, that must have fallen from the top of the laundry hamper where I'd set them.

Later, while sitting on my computer tonight, I heard what I thought was an owl, and as I investigated the rhythmic "hoo hoo," sound, I actually thought, that one might be inside my house. I followed the sound, to my baby's door, where he was simply cooing in his sleep. (it seriously sounded like an owl, not a baby...)
I guess my imagination must still be very active, if I can think these simple things are such big deals, but at least I always have a good laugh at myself at the end of the day.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa H said...

I'm glad you were able to laugh at all those things--I hate it when I get jumpy about normal sounds in the house. Of course it's usually when my husband is away--isn't it nice to have a "big scary dog" in the house to protect you? :) We've got one too!

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Cristy said...

I do the same thing when my husband is away, I hear EVERYTHING and imagine it to be something horrible! And I have a dog AND two teenage boys. Glad it turned out to be just "normal" sounds for you, it always does for me, too. ;)

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate Kristin. Except I don't have a dog.

I get very jumpy when Jimmy's out of town. Since he works from home I'm rarely at the house by myself even during the day, so it's especially weird for me when he's out of town all day and night.

One time, he went on a camping trip with friends and I remembered him locking the back door before he left. That night at about midight I woke up and saw the white curtains blowing in the wind with the back door open (I'd been sleeping on the couch).

Can you say freaked out? I'd SEEN him close and lock the back door and now the door was open and my creepy white flowy curtains were creepily creeping me out by blowing around my living room.

I looked in every nook and cranny of the house to "find the intruder" - I never found anyone and finally decided to lay down and try to go back to sleep.

After about 30 minutes of laying down with my heart pounding and my eyes wide open, I remembered that 5 minutes after Jimmy left, he came BACK to get the folding chairs.....which were in the backyard. He DIDN'T lock the back door the second time...

Wow. Long story. Sorry about that.

I hope you sleep well tonight!

9:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching a movie as a kid where the "bad guy" hid behind the shower curtain and got his unsuspecting victim when they entered the bathroom. My mother ALWAYS insisted that the shower curtain remain closed. I'd go in the bathroom and slap it as hard as I could to make sure no one was hiding there. One day, my brother saw me do this and asked me why. I told him and he asked me what I'd do if I ever slapped the curtain and hit something. I didn't know. I never thought about it that far before. A few days went by and I entered the bathroom and slapped the curtain in my usual fashion. I hit something very solid and then it grabbed me! I screamed so loud that my brother screamed too! He was the one behind the curtain! My dad really got mad at him for scaring me so badly! I can laugh now, but it scared me then!

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Brody Harper said...

You know... an owl.... in the house.....



you're cute.

9:14 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Those stories cracked me up!

Brody, seriously, you know the kinds of animals that have ended up in our house, it's really not that far off.....

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home