<body>

Sunday, September 02, 2007

21 days to form a habit


Over at Kat's blog she's decided to create a 21 day challenge, where you are committed to do something, (or not do something) every day in hopes that it will become a habit.

She says: "They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, so the idea is that I want to try to develop a new habit each month and I’d love for you all to join me.
How: Each day for the first 21 days of September, I’ll write a brief post about my progress regarding the habit I’m attempting to develop. You pick your own habit that you want to develop and track your progress in the comments of that post."

The habits of those participating range from spiritual to relational, to excersising goals. She is going to pray for her kids for 20 minutes every day.

My "21 day challenge," is to have a specific time to pray and place to pray, so that it becomes a habit, and more than a casual prayer when I think of it. I recently heard a pastor compare how people (mostly) shower or bathe every day, and in the same bathroom, and how it feels strange not to be in your own bathroom. He talked about how your prayer time should become a habit, and something you do every day in a certain place, so that it becomes so much of a habit, that you long for it if it is missed, set up with your bible, some journals, or whatever you need, just as your own shower is set up with just what you need.

My kids have their own habit that I am trying to form. I am trying to encourage them to wake up more slowly by leaving books at the end of their bed in the middle of the night. (I am also guarding my prayer time this way!)

If there's a habit you want to form or break,
Feel free to join in!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hope your successful! Having the kiddos stay in their rooms in the morning will make a big difference for you. It did for me, anyway.

I made a rule that my daughter can't come out until 8:00, but once she learned to read I had to make a rule that she must come out by 9:00. She'd stay in there forever! (which I believe is an attempt to skip school)

9:39 AM

 
Blogger kddub said...

Glad to hear that worked for you! I hope it does encourage a love for reading in my boys too.

2:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, babe. You are a great Mom. Putting the Lord first in your day...makes this mom very happy. Proud of you and so happy for the boys. Cannot go wrong.

Love you, Mom

7:48 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

(((((Thank you, love you too)))))

(apparently those lines means, "hug"!)

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Kat @ Inspired To Action said...

I hope it went well for you today Kristin!

9:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home