<body>

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Knowing the bible is easier than living the bible



~At the church I am attending, we are doing a new series called, "Authentic Christianity," and today's sermon was especially good, I felt.
The pastor was talking about how, to the Pharisees, every big and little thing was something to argue about, dividing fellowship and that they felt they knew the answers to all those things. He used this quote by Augustine, "In essentials, unity; in non essentials, liberty; in all things, charity." He explained how the "essentials, " of our Christian faith, that we can all have unity on is the love of Christ and salvation, that everything under that to argue about divides us. He explained how important it is to continue to be teachable, and continually examine the state of your heart, using biblical knowledge to set yourself free, which will help others, instead of using biblical knowledge to condemn others.
He said, "If you want to see what a Pharisee looks like, look in the mirror, because there's a little Pharisee in all of us."

"I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." ~John 17:23

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so don't want to be a Pharisee. I know that I am. I want to live what I believe, wait isn't that a song? It's true. If I really lived out everything I believed, I would be so different. But, does that mean that I don't really believe it, or is it more that I am lazy. Either way, not good.

3:47 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

I know it. It's easy to think, "this or that person acts like a pharisee at times"... but to stop and realize that there are tendancies within myself as well, stops me in my thinking, makes me back up and just pray that I would not judge, in anything.

I don't think that not living it out all the time means that you "don't really believe" it, I just think we submit to our human- ness often. I am definitely the type of person that isn't always living out what I believe is right. I do and say the wrong thing often, but realizing that, Jesus is the answer, and the commonality among all of us believers, and that not anyone can truly live out their faith on a consistent basis.

8:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home