<body>

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Multi tasking


I am a major multi-tasker. It's almost a challenge for me, I begin the day with a to do list and fill up an entire sheet of binder paper and try to highlight each thing off by the end of the day. I love to do craft projects, and try to squeeze those things in amongst all my other "to do's." The problem is, that the more kids I have the more things pop up, un-planned through out the day. I get frustrated that my things aren't getting done, or that I am up late into the night, and I end up having a lot of unfinished projects.

Someone told me the other day that they needed to have five paintings done for a show in a week. When I asked how that was going, they said that they'd started three. It was obvious to me, for them, that they should've been focusing on one at a time, because one finished painting is better than three half done ones.

It also hit me the other day, that when God created the world He did one thing each day. He didn't create part of the ocean, and part of an animal, instead He focused each day to a specific creation, and then took a full day to rest.

I have been trying very hard recently to focus on one thing at a time, and if that is my child talking to me, then I will stop what I am doing and look them in the eye, and I will listen. I am trying to look at the interruptions throughout the day, as opportunities, and that they have a point. Whether it's a chance to teach my kids a lesson, or hear something I would normally ignore. My point is, that I am trying to be more aware of my priorities, that crossing off the to do list is not more important than listening to my kids, and also that I am pointedly having less on my to do list in order to focus on one thing at a time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Larissa said...

great insight! i am a major mulit-tasker too and love the advice you have here. i'm going to try and do what you're talking about as well and focus on one thing at a time instead of a bunch of things half-way! thanks!!! :)

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home