<body>

Monday, August 20, 2007

Reflections for Ragamuffins


I love the Brennan Manning books that I have read. He speaks to those that know they are not perfect, and that yearn to know the love and trust of Jesus more deeply. I am reading his devotional now, and nearly every day there is something that jumps out to me. This is my second time through it, and there is still just so much wisdom you can get from his words.

~Here is an excerpt of one of the points that rings in my ears.

" Here is the essence of perfect sincerity in conduct- to care for nothing but God's judgment on our actions; not to vary our attitude to suit the company we are in, not to hold one opinion when alone and adopt another in conversation, but to speak and act as in the sight of God who can read our inmost thoughts. Sincerity means trying to make the outward man more and more like the inner man, by simply being true to one-self, so that no human respect can make us false."

*Question: Do you think that being sincere with yourself, and with others, being able to be totally consistent and transparent, takes confidence or comfort?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger truevyne said...

"Do you think that being sincere with yourself, and with others, being able to be totally consistent and transparent, takes confidence or comfort?"
I don't know how to be any other way than sincere and true to myself. My moods effect consistency, but not much. I'm transparent with only my more intimate friends as I've found it wise to do so.

9:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it takes honesty also. True honesty to examine myself and face the fact that I am a sinner, saved by grace. I pray for that daily. I am usually pretty transparent to most people. That is why I must examine closely.
Love you, Mom

11:49 PM

 
Blogger KathyH said...

Kristin, I met Brody working Shaun's table in Arkansas, and I've started reading your blog, too.

I LOVE BRENNAN MANNING!!!!

Hope you all get well quickly!

6:44 AM

 
Blogger kddub said...

truevyne~" I'm transparent with only my more intimate friends as I've found it wise to do so."
I agree with that, I don't think everyone needs to know everything all the time.

Mom W.~ Yes I would agree with you, it does also take honesty. You are right, the realization of being a sinner saved by grace, enables us to be more transparent.

Kathy H~ Thanks for reading! Brody had told me he'd met you, it's always fun for him to meet the people of the blog world. I love Brennan Manning too, which books of his have you read?

10:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it takes all three of those things, you need to have confidance in who you are in Christ, you need to be comfortable with those you are with, and you need to be honest with others as well as yourself. I think we need to be consistant in who we are, not one person at sometimes and another at others. I also think not everyone needs to know everything about us. I have a tendancy to share too much. Not so good. Most people don't want to know everything about me. Opens me way up to being hurt too. Then I shut down and don't let anyone in. It's a learning process. I love it when authors understand that we aren't perfect or even expect us to be. I haven't read any of Brennan Manning's books, I think I may need to!

4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe...would I like the books your talking about? Maybe if Kristin reads onje I will talk to her. Looking for something relaxing to read for the end of summer.
Hope you are feeling better honey. Love you, Mom

5:53 PM

 
Blogger kddub said...

kricketd~ that is so true, that feeling of being secure of who you are in Christ. I have a tendancy to share too much too, but that is when I get uncomfortable, and don't really know how much to share, you know? It's a delicate balance, because you can't get to know people who don't share anything about their lives either....

Mom W.~ I think you'd like his books, but they definitely aren't relaxing summer reading. I'd start with the "Ragmuffin Gospel," you'll be saying , "amen" through that book. I've also read " Ruthless Trust, " which is so good, but it took me a long time to read because I had to stop and chew on nearly every paragraph because he makes so many good points that I had to think through a lot. This devotional is also good, to give you an idea about what he writes about.

9:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home